Main page content begins here

In-person services have been reduced, including the Edmonton Service Centre at the Edmonton Tower, to protect everyone’s health and safety. 

We’re working hard to maintain as many services as possible so you can still get the things you need. Please review the applicable section below for detailed service changes. 

Animal Care & Control Centre

Lost Pets

Effective November 4, the ACCC will resume the intake of all stray animals which now includes feral cats and cats brought into ACCC in a trap. ACCC continues to suspend all walk-in services. An admittance appointment is required for all services including if you need to claim your pet or want an animal scanned for a microchip. Appointments can be made by calling 311 or visiting

Priority will be given to those animals that are:

  • In distress
  • Injured (wounds, limping, bleeding)
  • Visibly ill (thin, weak, not mobile, any discharge from eyes or nose)
  • Very pregnant (imminent birth) 
  • Kittens under two months who appear to have no mother
  • Outside when the temperatures have dropped below -20 degrees Celsius with the windchill and where the finder is unable to bring the animal inside

All ACCC services listed above are by appointment only. Appointments can now be made by calling 311 or using the online form.

If You Have Lost Your Pet

If you have lost your pet, please look for it on our Lost Pets page and make an appointment online via or by calling 311.

Injured Animals

Priority appointments will be given to those animals that are:

  • In distress

  • Injured (wounds, limping, bleeding)

  • Visibly ill (thin, weak, not mobile, any discharge from eyes or nose)

  • Very pregnant (imminent birth)

  • Kittens under two months of age who appear to have no mother

  • Outside when the temperatures have dropped below -20 degrees Celsius with the windchill and where the finder is unable to bring the animal inside

We encourage citizens to make attempts to find the owner of any healthy, lost or stray animal. If the animal has a tag with a licence number on it, 311 may provide the owner’s contact information if the owner has given us permission to release it. It is important to note that owned lost cats are 10 times more likely to find their way home if left in their neighbourhood than if they are brought to a shelter. Outdoor cats and feral cats are accustomed to being outside. 

For a list of more tips on what you can do to reunite pets with their owners and templates to make your own Lost Cat Poster or Paper Collar, visit

Pet Licence Purchase and Renewal

Citizens can purchase or renew their pet licence online. Payments can also be sent by cheque or money order and mailed to: the City of Edmonton, P.O. Box 2670, Edmonton, AB. T5J 2G4.  We encourage pet owners to keep their contact information associated with your pet’s licence up-to-date online in the event your pet gets lost.

Payment can be made at any financial institution or via Online Banking payable to City of Edmonton Pet/Business Licences or Edmonton Pet & Business Licences.  

City Hall

City Hall Front Service Counter

City Hall, including the front service counter, is closed to the public. 

Access is limited to members of Council, staff and accredited media. 

City Hall Event Bookings

City Hall event bookings have been suspended until further notice.

Service of Legal Documents On the City

City Hall and Chancery Hall are closed to the public.

Contact the Law branch to arrange a time and manner for personal service of legal documents.

Contact or 780-496-7200

Pursuant to Alberta Rules of Court, Rule 11.21, this email address is not a valid address for service and emails sent to this address with legal documents attached will not be considered service on the City of Edmonton.  You will receive a reply from one of the lawyers regarding service arrangements.

Edmonton Transit

ETS Lost & Found Inquiries

Please use our online form for inquiries or call 780-496-1622 to confirm if your article has been found. Also, you will need to arrange an appointment time with the Lost and Found staff for pick up at the Edmonton Tower.

ETS Busker Permits

New Busker Permits cannot be issued at this time. Currently issued permits are extended until new permits can be issued. 

Ride Transit Program

Visit the Ride Transit Program page for more information about how to apply and how to purchase your pass.

ETS Fares

Fare changes for many fare categories take effect on February 1, 2021. Please visit the Fares page for more information. 

ETS Refunds

Visit the Fares page for more information.

Family and Individual Support Programs

Support Programs

Support Programs, including Family Violence Prevention, Women's Support Services and Men’s Support Services are currently postponed until further notice. 

To reach a social worker, call 780-496-4777, leave a message, and they will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Our phones are in operation:

  • Monday and Friday: 8:30am-noon and 1-4:30pm
  • Wednesday: 8:30am-noon

Tenant Support Services

Tenant Support Services (formerly Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board)

Tenant Support Services is closed to in-person services. 

For advice and information please call 780-496-5959, extension 1 or email

Municipal Cemeteries Services (COVID-19)

Cemetery Service

Please note indoor gatherings are restricted to 15 people or fewer and outdoor gatherings are restricted to 50 people or fewer, as per public health guidelines.

Our client care team is available to answer any questions about cemetery services and schedule ceremonies over the phone at 780-442-0974 or by email at Hours of operation are Monday to Friday between 8:30am to 4:30pm. Exceptions will be made (by request) for clients/families who do not have necessary technology.

Office of the City Clerk

City Clerk Reception

The Office of the City Clerk Main Reception (3rd Floor City Hall) is currently closed to both the public and employees. The City Clerk team is still providing services during regular business hours.

Phone: 780-496-8178


Access to Information or FOIP requests continue to be accepted:

  • Online
  • Mail
    • Won't be received on a regular basis
    • Payment for general FOIP requests must be made online
  • As City Hall is closed to the public we cannot accept requests in person

We anticipate that there may be additional challenges in filling FOIP requests remotely (example:  retrieval of records, employees providing records will need to do so electronically). Applicants will be notified of any delays.

Phone: 780-496-5222

FOIP Request

The Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB)

Using a written hearing or appeal process, as approved by the Board Chair. The process is being managed remotely with Board Members.

The Assessment Review Board (ARB)

Using a written hearing process for residential complaints (Local Assessment Review Board, LARBs) and videoconference hearing process for commercial complaints (Composite Assessment Review Board, CARBs), as approved by the Board Chair.

The Community Standards and License Appeal Committee (CSLAC)

A Committee of Council. On April 15, 2020, Council passed a motion that all CSLAC meetings be suspended until it is determined that it is safe to hold meetings in person.

Phone: 780-423-7420

Civic Agencies

The Civic Agency Team continues to provide services remotely.

Phone: 780-442-4395

Election and Census Office

The Election and Census Office is closed to the public. Election and Census staff continue to provide the same services remotely. 

Phone: 780-496-8008

Other Permits, Licenses and Payments

Block Party Permit Intake

Block Party Permits are not currently being accepted.

Business Licensing

Business Licence Fee Reductions

To help support local businesses through the pandemic recovery, the City is providing all businesses with a 50% reduction in business licence fees. The fee reduction will be automatically applied when businesses renew their existing licence or apply for a new business licence between now and March 31, 2022.

Business licence fees paid prior to April 1, 2021 will not be eligible for refunds. Businesses that already paid licence fees between January 1 and March 31, 2021 will receive the fee reduction when they renew their licence in 2022.

Most Commercial and Home Based Business licence applications or renewals can be made online.  


  • By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only)
  • Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
  • By mail

Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Mandatory Public Health Restrictions for Businesses
On June 10, Alberta entered Stage 2 of reopening. This includes changes to COVID-19 restrictions for restaurants, retail, hotels and community halls, churches and funeral homes, performance groups, youth sports, performance and recreation, personal and wellness services, and workplaces.  This stage will remain in place for two weeks and will be extended if necessary. For further information on current health measures for businesses, please see the businesses and services restrictions section at

COVID-19 Business Support
We know that businesses have been impacted by COVID-19 and this has been extremely challenging. Please visit the City’s COVID-19 business support webpage for information on steps the City is taking to support business owners.

Reporting Health Order Violation Concerns
The City will support the new restrictions announced by the province by continuing to activate our enforcement teams.

Through close coordination with Alberta Health Services (AHS) and Edmonton Police Service, teams of Peace Officers will work 7 days a week to support Face Covering bylaw enforcement and Public Health Order enforcement. While enforcement has occurred throughout the pandemic, the City will now concentrate our efforts on public spaces, gatherings and businesses.

For complaints on face coverings, vehicle-for-hire services, outdoor spaces, playgrounds and dog parks, use the City of Edmonton general complaint form. For complaints on self-isolation restrictions, mass gatherings, workplaces or businesses not complying with closures please visit the AHS Complaints form.

For physical distancing concerns, use the City of Edmonton physical distancing form. NOTE: This form is only for analyzing changing trends, not for enforcement. 

Please contact or 780-442-5054

Bylaw Ticket Payments

Pay Online

By mail:
City of Edmonton
PO Box 2024
Edmonton, AB T5J 4M6

Commercial Decals

Service can be accessed by contacting

Compliance Certificates

Compliance Certificate applications can be made online or by mail to Edmonton Service Centre, 2nd Floor, 10111 104 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4.

This certificate confirms that all buildings and structures identified on the property have met the regulations under the Zoning Bylaw and have the appropriate development permits. Once reviewed, the applicant will receive a Compliance Certificate Report via email from the City of Edmonton. 

Search of records applications can be made online, by mail or by emailing the pdf application form to

Payments can be made by phone (780-442-5054), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Development Permits, Building Permits and Trade Permits

How to Apply

Apply Online

Where applications are not available online, please use the contact methods provided on the website or call 311 for assistance.

Please check our new online dashboard for current building permit and inspection request intake processing time estimates. For Development Permit application processing times, call 311 or 780-442-5311 (Outside Edmonton). 

In order to maintain existing application processing timelines and service levels, development-related services will continue to be provided on a fee for service model at this time.


Payments can be made by phone (780-442-5054), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Pre Application Meetings

Pre-Application meetings and Home Improvement Permit Appointments will be done through teleconference only.

Fire Prevention Office

The Fire Prevention Office is closed, but we are available by phone (780-496-3628) and email.

To discourage public gatherings, we will not issue fireworks permits until further notice.

Fire Payments Transportation

No in-person - full service can be maintained by phone.


To protect the health and safety of our staff and help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we’ve made the below changes to our development, building and trade permit inspection processes.


Available Online
Building and trade permit inspections can be scheduled online using self serve accounts or by calling 311.

Development permit inspections can be requested by emailing

The City is proceeding with lot grading, transportation and landscaping inspections as weather allows. These inspections can be requested through the usual email, ePlan or online request form processes depending on the inspection. We will update you should this decision change due to the COVID-19 situation.

In-person inspections

In-person inspections will not be permitted for occupied residential or commercial sites, with the exception of inspections for some utility service disruptions in occupied homes and businesses, or for unoccupied construction sites where:

  • Distancing safeguards are unsatisfactory
  •  Anyone (such as, contractor, homeowner) has been asked to self-isolate, or is showing cold or flu symptoms
  • Anyone has returned to Canada from outside the country and has not yet completed the required 14-day self isolation period (for further direction given this rapidly-changing situation, please refer to the Info for Travellers and Airline Passengers section on

Permit holders at locations where these conditions may apply are requested to reschedule inspections for a later time or consider the below virtual inspection options where applicable.  Please use the online self-serve inspection scheduling tool under the 'INSPECTIONS' heading on your project dashboard, or call 311.

Virtual inspections

To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and keep Edmontonians, contractors and City inspectors safe, the City is now offering virtual inspection options for certain construction projects.

  • Remote Video Inspections (RVI) are available for building and trade permit (HVAC, plumbing, gas and electrical) inspections of occupied spaces within occupied residential and commercial locations. This includes, but is not limited to, projects such as interior alterations, basement developments, additions without a separate entrance, and occupied commercial locations where distancing or other safety protocols cannot be met. RVI enables virtual inspections through connected cellular mobile devices: one operated at the building location by the permit holder and the other by a Safety Codes Officer at a different location.
  • Verification of Compliance (VOC) is available for re-inspection of corrected safety codes deficiencies from an earlier inspection. This method involves a self-declaration and photographic supporting evidence that the identified deficiencies of a previous inspection have been rectified.

Permit holders can request RVIs or re-inspection through photographic evidence by:

  • Using the SelfServe portal and going to the project's inspections tab 
  • Calling 311

Current building permit and inspection request intake processing time estimates are available on our online dashboard. In-person inspections will continue to be required for unoccupied residential and commercial construction sites, most utility service disruptions in occupied homes and businesses, and exterior structures such as decks.

Land Development Applications (LDAs)

Applying for LDAs (rezonings, plan amendments, and road closures):

Apply Online

Applicants will be sent an invoice on receipt of a file being accepted.

Payments: By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Pre-Application meetings will continue to be conducted via teleconference only.

Public Hearings

The City is hosting remote Public Hearings to deal with land use matters. The City will contact applicants scheduled for Public Hearing dates directly to provide further information. 

Engagement Sessions

All City-led in-person public engagement events and information sessions have been postponed until further notice. Feedback is being accepted for certain land development applications through the City's new online Engaged Edmonton virtual engagement tool. 

Pet Licences

Apply Online

Or mail your application to: 
City of Edmonton
PO Box 2670
Edmonton, AB T5J 2G4


Recreation Donation Pass Pick Up

Apply by mail:
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower
10111 104 Avenue, NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0J4

Residential Parking Permits

Apply Online

By email:

By mail:
Parking Permits, 
2nd floor Edmonton Tower
10111 104 Avenue NW Edmonton, AB
T5J 0J4


Servicing Agreements, Engineering Drawing Applications

If you have an account set up:

Apply Online

To create an account, email

Servicing agreements will be provided digitally to developers for execution.

Servicing Agreement Extensions

The City will be providing flexibility around servicing agreement deadlines. Developers can contact the Servicing Agreement team at or the development engineer for the file to discuss extension requests.

New Servicing Agreement Securities

The City of Edmonton is now accepting development bonds for all new servicing agreements. This will allow developers another option for security, as the City previously only accepted irrevocable letters of credit issued by a bank, or cash security.

To apply for a development bond for your new servicing agreement, please:

Existing Servicing Agreement Securities

Effective November 1, 2020, the City of Edmonton is now accepting development bonds for all existing servicing agreements executed after January 1, 2014 that are in good standing.

To apply to convert your existing security to a development bond, please email the development engineer for your project. In the email, be sure to include the name of your surety company.

An initial fee of $500 will be required for this service; however, the fee amount will be reviewed as the program progresses and may be adjusted to reflect the service cost.

Please contact the development engineer for your file directly or email

Subdivision Applications & Endorsements

Apply Online

Or by emailing

Endorsement packages will be mailed to applicants, as pick up is no longer available.

Pre-application meetings will continue to be conducted via teleconference only.

Payments: By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Questions? Email

Subdivision & Development Appeal Board (SDAB) Appeals

The Subdivision and Development Appeal Board is offering alternate arrangements to in person hearings.

If you have a hearing that is scheduled, you will be contacted by the SDAB. 

Visit Edmonton Tribunals Subdivision and Development Appeal Board for further updates.

Temporary Outdoor Patios, Sidewalk Cafes and Retail Expansions - City of Edmonton
Temporary Outdoor Patios & Sidewalk Cafes

Effective June 10, restaurants, pubs, bars, lounges and cafes can open for both indoor and outdoor dining will be permitted, with a maximum of 6 people per table.

If you have any questions regarding the status of your temporary outdoor patio location or application, please email

Retail Expansions

Under stage 2 of the Province's re-opening, all retail services and shopping malls can increase customer capacity to 33% of fire code occupancy. Shopping mall capacity limits exclude common area square footage.

Previously approved outdoor retail expansions may continue to operate until April 30, 2022 provided they follow the Province’s customer capacity requirements. Curbside pickup, delivery and online services are encouraged.

Vehicle for Hire Licence Applications
Dispatch and Vehicle Licence Fee Reductions

On April 6, 2021, City Council approved a 100% reduction in 2021 dispatch and vehicle licence fees for limousines and a 50% reduction in these fees for all other vehicles for hire. The fee reduction will be automatically applied when licensees renew their licence or apply for a new licence.  For licensees who already received a credit for their 2021 fees, the fee reduction will be applied to their 2022 fees. The fee reductions are one way the City is helping support the industry through the pandemic recovery.

Vehicle for Hire Service Restrictions

To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, there are Provincial restrictions (Order 18-2020) for all taxis, limousines, private transportation providers, shuttle service providers, and all ride-sharing services such as Uber and Tapp. These include: limits to the number of passengers in a vehicle, enhanced cleaning practices, and guidelines around what to do in the event of a potential exposure. For more information, please see the Province's guidance documents and/or visit

Submit all Vehicle For Hire Licence applications to 

By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Reporting Bylaw and Physical Distancing Concerns
Edmontonians who have concerns about COVID-19 order violations can submit their complaints online

Contact or 780-442-5054.

Tax and Assessment

Property Tax Payments

Property tax payments can be made:

By Mail 

City of Edmonton
PO Box 1982
Edmonton, AB T5J 3X5

Through your bank.

Through the City’s monthly payment plan, which includes automatic bank withdrawals.

Waste Services

Eco Stations

AmblesideKennedale, Coronation and Strathcona Eco Stations are open Tuesday to Saturday, 9am-5pm. They are closed on Sundays, Mondays and Statutory Holidays

Residents can continue dropping off paint. However, the paint exchange is paused until further notice.

Cash payments no longer accepted until further notice.

Visit for more information.

Reuse Centre

Closed for business, including drop-offs, until further notice.

  • The reuse areas within the Kennedale and Ambleside Eco Stations will remain closed until Stage 3 of the province’s relaunch plan or the end of August, whichever is later
Edmonton Waste Management Centre

Reduced weekday hours at the Edmonton Waste Management Centre (EWMC), until further notice. Residents and contractors can also visit the Kennedale Eco Station Tuesday to Saturday from 9am-5pm to dispose of most waste items. Double check to make sure your waste will be accepted at an Eco Station before visiting.

  • 7:30am-5:30pm, Monday-Friday
  • 8am-5pm, Saturday, Sunday, holidays

Residents and contractors can also visit the Kennedale Eco Station Tuesday to Saturday, 9am-5pm to dispose of most waste items. Double check to make sure your waste will be accepted at an Eco Station before visiting.

Cash payments no longer accepted until further notice.

Reduced Waste Utility Rates

Reduced waste utility rates will be in effect from June 1 to December 31, 2020. The new monthly rates are:

  • $46.52 for curbside/alley collection
  • $30.23 for bin collection
  • $33.48 for transitional multi-unit customers

There are no planned changes to how waste is collected or processed as a result of the rate reduction. You will continue to receive the same level of service for waste collection.  Learn more at

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content