Main page content begins here

Updated June 18, 2021

The COVID-19 situation presents an unpredictable and unique scenario, and the health and safety of our staff, Edmontonians and industry partners remains our top priority. 

With that said, we’re working hard to maintain as many services as possible so you can still get the things you need. Some operations, however, have required adjustments to accommodate the direction of Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health. 

The Edmonton Service Centre on the 2nd Floor of the Edmonton Tower is currently closed to in-person services. Please refer to the information below on alternate ways to access the City's permit and licensing services, such as online, by mail or phone, as well as additional service adjustments due to the COVID-19 situation.

Please visit for more information on the City’s response efforts.

Service Adjustments

The below information is subject to change given the evolving COVID-19 situation. We will update this page with further changes as they occur. 

Business Licensing

Business Licence Fee Reductions

To help support local businesses through the pandemic recovery, the City is providing all businesses with a 50% reduction in business licence fees. The fee reduction will be automatically applied when businesses renew their existing licence or apply for a new business licence between now and March 31, 2022.

Business licence fees paid prior to April 1, 2021 will not be eligible for refunds. Businesses that already paid licence fees between January 1 and March 31, 2021 will receive the fee reduction when they renew their licence in 2022.

Most Commercial and Home Based Business licence applications or renewals can be made online.  


  • By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only)
  • Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
  • By mail

Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Mandatory Public Health Restrictions for Businesses
On June 10, Alberta entered Stage 2 of reopening. This includes changes to COVID-19 restrictions for restaurants, retail, hotels and community halls, churches and funeral homes, performance groups, youth sports, performance and recreation, personal and wellness services, and workplaces.  This stage will remain in place for two weeks and will be extended if necessary. For further information on current health measures for businesses, please see the businesses and services restrictions section at

COVID-19 Business Support
We know that businesses have been impacted by COVID-19 and this has been extremely challenging. Please visit the City’s COVID-19 business support webpage for information on steps the City is taking to support business owners.

Reporting Health Order Violation Concerns
The City will support the new restrictions announced by the province by continuing to activate our enforcement teams.

Through close coordination with Alberta Health Services (AHS) and Edmonton Police Service, teams of Peace Officers will work 7 days a week to support Face Covering bylaw enforcement and Public Health Order enforcement. While enforcement has occurred throughout the pandemic, the City will now concentrate our efforts on public spaces, gatherings and businesses.

For complaints on face coverings, vehicle-for-hire services, outdoor spaces, playgrounds and dog parks, use the City of Edmonton general complaint form. For complaints on self-isolation restrictions, mass gatherings, workplaces or businesses not complying with closures please visit the AHS Complaints form.

For physical distancing concerns, use the City of Edmonton physical distancing form. NOTE: This form is only for analyzing changing trends, not for enforcement. 

Please contact or 780-442-5054

Development Permits, Building Permits and Trade Permits

How to Apply

Apply Online

Where applications are not available online, please use the contact methods provided on the website or call 311 for assistance.

Please check our new online dashboard for current building permit and inspection request intake processing time estimates. For Development Permit application processing times, call 311 or 780-442-5311 (Outside Edmonton). 

In order to maintain existing application processing timelines and service levels, development-related services will continue to be provided on a fee for service model at this time.


Payments can be made by phone (780-442-5054), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Pre Application Meetings

Pre-Application meetings and Home Improvement Permit Appointments will be done through teleconference only.

Compliance Certificates

Compliance Certificate applications can be made online or by mail to Edmonton Service Centre, 2nd Floor, 10111 104 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4.

This certificate confirms that all buildings and structures identified on the property have met the regulations under the Zoning Bylaw and have the appropriate development permits. Once reviewed, the applicant will receive a Compliance Certificate Report via email from the City of Edmonton. 

Search of records applications can be made online, by mail or by emailing the pdf application form to

Payments can be made by phone (780-442-5054), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.


To protect the health and safety of our staff and help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we’ve made the below changes to our development, building and trade permit inspection processes.


Available Online
Building and trade permit inspections can be scheduled online using self serve accounts or by calling 311.

Development permit inspections can be requested by emailing

The City is proceeding with lot grading, transportation and landscaping inspections as weather allows. These inspections can be requested through the usual email, ePlan or online request form processes depending on the inspection. We will update you should this decision change due to the COVID-19 situation.

In-person inspections

In-person inspections will not be permitted for occupied residential or commercial sites, with the exception of inspections for some utility service disruptions in occupied homes and businesses, or for unoccupied construction sites where:

  • Distancing safeguards are unsatisfactory
  •  Anyone (such as, contractor, homeowner) has been asked to self-isolate, or is showing cold or flu symptoms
  • Anyone has returned to Canada from outside the country and has not yet completed the required 14-day self isolation period (for further direction given this rapidly-changing situation, please refer to the Info for Travellers and Airline Passengers section on

Permit holders at locations where these conditions may apply are requested to reschedule inspections for a later time or consider the below virtual inspection options where applicable.  Please use the online self-serve inspection scheduling tool under the 'INSPECTIONS' heading on your project dashboard, or call 311.

Virtual inspections

To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and keep Edmontonians, contractors and City inspectors safe, the City is now offering virtual inspection options for certain construction projects.

  • Remote Video Inspections (RVI) are available for building and trade permit (HVAC, plumbing, gas and electrical) inspections of occupied spaces within occupied residential and commercial locations. This includes, but is not limited to, projects such as interior alterations, basement developments, additions without a separate entrance, and occupied commercial locations where distancing or other safety protocols cannot be met. RVI enables virtual inspections through connected cellular mobile devices: one operated at the building location by the permit holder and the other by a Safety Codes Officer at a different location.
  • Verification of Compliance (VOC) is available for re-inspection of corrected safety codes deficiencies from an earlier inspection. This method involves a self-declaration and photographic supporting evidence that the identified deficiencies of a previous inspection have been rectified.

Permit holders can request RVIs or re-inspection through photographic evidence by:

  • Using the SelfServe portal and going to the project's inspections tab 
  • Calling 311

Current building permit and inspection request intake processing time estimates are available on our online dashboard. In-person inspections will continue to be required for unoccupied residential and commercial construction sites, most utility service disruptions in occupied homes and businesses, and exterior structures such as decks.

Land Development Applications (LDAs)

Applying for LDAs (rezonings, plan amendments, and road closures):

Apply Online

Applicants will be sent an invoice on receipt of a file being accepted.

Payments: By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Pre-Application meetings will continue to be conducted via teleconference only.

Public Hearings

The City is hosting remote Public Hearings to deal with land use matters. The City will contact applicants scheduled for Public Hearing dates directly to provide further information. 

Engagement Sessions

All City-led in-person public engagement events and information sessions have been postponed until further notice. Feedback is being accepted for certain land development applications through the City's new online Engaged Edmonton virtual engagement tool. 

Servicing Agreements, Engineering Drawing Applications

If you have an account set up:

Apply Online

To create an account, email

Servicing agreements will be provided digitally to developers for execution.

Servicing Agreement Extensions

The City will be providing flexibility around servicing agreement deadlines. Developers can contact the Servicing Agreement team at or the development engineer for the file to discuss extension requests.

New Servicing Agreement Securities

The City of Edmonton is now accepting development bonds for all new servicing agreements. This will allow developers another option for security, as the City previously only accepted irrevocable letters of credit issued by a bank, or cash security.

To apply for a development bond for your new servicing agreement, please:

Existing Servicing Agreement Securities

Effective November 1, 2020, the City of Edmonton is now accepting development bonds for all existing servicing agreements executed after January 1, 2014 that are in good standing.

To apply to convert your existing security to a development bond, please email the development engineer for your project. In the email, be sure to include the name of your surety company.

An initial fee of $500 will be required for this service; however, the fee amount will be reviewed as the program progresses and may be adjusted to reflect the service cost.

Please contact the development engineer for your file directly or email

Subdivision Applications & Endorsements

Apply Online

Or by emailing

Endorsement packages will be mailed to applicants, as pick up is no longer available.

Pre-application meetings will continue to be conducted via teleconference only.

Payments: By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Questions? Email

Subdivision & Development Appeal Board (SDAB) Appeals

The Subdivision and Development Appeal Board is offering alternate arrangements to in person hearings.

If you have a hearing that is scheduled, you will be contacted by the SDAB. 

Visit Edmonton Tribunals Subdivision and Development Appeal Board for further updates.

Temporary Outdoor Patios, Sidewalk Cafes and Retail Expansions - City of Edmonton
Temporary Outdoor Patios & Sidewalk Cafes

Effective June 10, restaurants, pubs, bars, lounges and cafes can open for both indoor and outdoor dining will be permitted, with a maximum of 6 people per table.

If you have any questions regarding the status of your temporary outdoor patio location or application, please email

Retail Expansions

Under stage 2 of the Province's re-opening, all retail services and shopping malls can increase customer capacity to 33% of fire code occupancy. Shopping mall capacity limits exclude common area square footage.

Previously approved outdoor retail expansions may continue to operate until April 30, 2022 provided they follow the Province’s customer capacity requirements. Curbside pickup, delivery and online services are encouraged.

Vehicle for Hire Licence Applications
Dispatch and Vehicle Licence Fee Reductions

On April 6, 2021, City Council approved a 100% reduction in 2021 dispatch and vehicle licence fees for limousines and a 50% reduction in these fees for all other vehicles for hire. The fee reduction will be automatically applied when licensees renew their licence or apply for a new licence.  For licensees who already received a credit for their 2021 fees, the fee reduction will be applied to their 2022 fees. The fee reductions are one way the City is helping support the industry through the pandemic recovery.

Vehicle for Hire Service Restrictions

To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, there are Provincial restrictions (Order 18-2020) for all taxis, limousines, private transportation providers, shuttle service providers, and all ride-sharing services such as Uber and Tapp. These include: limits to the number of passengers in a vehicle, enhanced cleaning practices, and guidelines around what to do in the event of a potential exposure. For more information, please see the Province's guidance documents and/or visit

Submit all Vehicle For Hire Licence applications to 

By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Reporting Bylaw and Physical Distancing Concerns
Edmontonians who have concerns about COVID-19 order violations can submit their complaints online

Contact or 780-442-5054.

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content