Main page content begins here

Vehicle hauling material in Edmonton

It is common to see vehicles hauling material in Edmonton. However, drivers sometimes forget to secure their loads properly, allowing things to fall off along the way.

Material from an unsecured load that falls onto the road endangers other drivers and creates litter, which is unsightly and bad for the environment.

Secure Your Load Properly

Securing your load with tie-downs, a tarp, or cargo net doesn’t take long. These items can be purchased for less than $20 at most local hardware stores.

Before you start driving, be sure that you:

  • Cover sand, gravel, and dirt with a tarp and keep it at least 75 millimetres below the top of your vehicle’s box or container
  • Place light objects lower in the container instead of at the top of your load
  • Use a rope, bungee cords, nets, or straps to tie tarps and other objects down
  • Tie large items, like mattresses and construction equipment, directly to your vehicle
  • Put loose items, like garbage and yard waste, in a covered container so that it is easier to secure
  • Attach a flag to any items that extend beyond the back of your vehicle

Commercial drivers and carriers should refer to the Commercial Vehicle Safety Regulation of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act, as well as the National Safety Code Cargo Securement Standard 10, to ensure they are transporting cargo properly to prevent items from spilling, blowing off, falling, or shifting on or within the vehicle while in transport.

Losing Your Load

If your load does fall onto the road, take reasonable steps to safely remove it.

Also report the spill to the City by calling 311 and to the Edmonton Police Service, so they can make sure other drivers are protected.

Reporting Your Concerns

If you have a concern about a vehicle with an unsecured load:

  • Discuss the concern with the driver if safe to do so
  • Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can't resolve it directly with the driver
  • Call 311
  • Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court

Responding to Your Complaint

After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:

  1. A file is created specifying your concerns
  2. A Community Standards Peace Officer (CSPO) opens an investigation
  3. The officer investigates your complaint
  4. The CSPO may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a $250 fine, depending on the circumstances
  5. The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
  6. The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court

Protecting your Privacy

The information you provide will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to anyone else. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.

For More Information

311 Contact Centre

Online Contact 311 Online

If you are calling from outside of Edmonton: 780-442-5311



TTY 780-944-5555

Capital City Clean Up

If you are calling from outside of Edmonton: 780-442-5311



Fax 780-498-7098

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content