Main page content begins here

Community Standards Peace Officers, Municipal Enforcement Officers, and Animal Care & Control Officers protect the health, safety and welfare of citizens by promoting compliance with our community standards and animal control bylaws.

Investigating and Enforcing Bylaw Complaints

Four main groups of enforcement officers work for Community Standards, organized into 3 focus areas:

General Enforcement

Municipal Enforcement Officers generally investigate complaints from citizens relating to the Community Standards Bylaw or other non-urgent bylaw violations on private property.

Community Standards Peace Officers respond to on-the-spot bylaw concerns and deal with public property issues.

Animal Control Peace Officers

Animal Control Peace Officers respond to animal-related complaints and enforce the Animal Licensing and Control Bylaw and the Animal Protection Act.

Parking Enforcement

Parking Enforcement Officers respond to parking violations and concerns.

Case by Case

If you are found to have violated a bylaw:

  • The officer will help you to understand how you contravened the bylaw and what you should do to fix the problem
  • The officer may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem, depending on the circumstances
  • The officer may issue a fine immediately, depending on the circumstances

Bylaw officers will not necessarily issue a warning in all bylaw situations. 

Complaint Information

If you make a complaint, your personal information may be collected under the authority of Section 33(c) of the provincial government's
Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Section 642 of the Municipal Government Act or Section 59 of the Safety Codes Act.

The information will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to the public. If you have any questions about the collection and use of your information, please contact the Corporate Access and Privacy Office at 780-496-5222.

Illegal Parking Complaints

Use Edmonton 311 App or call 311

For More Information

Community Standards and Neighbourhoods Branch


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

Fax 780-496-6054

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content